The Student News Site of Castaic High School

The Daily Howl

Breaking News

The Daily Howl

The Daily Howl

Polls

Do you feel that your racial/ethnic/cultural background is falsely represented on screen?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Five Books to Read Before November

Five Books to Read Before November

The air is getting chilly, the leaves are turning red, and autumn is finally here. This means it’s time to cozy up with a hot cup of coffee and a good book. Reading in a cozy fall setting is a favorite activity for many people, but choosing the right book can be tedious. Many would agree that even some books trending on social media have been tremendously disappointing. Even if you are in the middle of a reading slump, autumn is the perfect time to start over and get back into the reading groove. Because it’s officially spooky season, here are some books that fit the essence of fall. 

Twilight – Stephenie Meyer 

Twilight is a cult classic because of its melancholic feel and gloomy aesthetic. This book takes place in Forks, Washington where there are deep forests and a constant cover of clouds. Edward Cullen is a main character in the trilogy, and as most people know, he is a vampire which makes the book perfect to read during the spooky season. This sensational novel is not considered a thriller or horror, but with a cozy blanket on a rainy day, it’s perfect for the fall season

Dead Poets Society – N.H. Kleinbaum

Dead Poets Society is an oldie but goodie with the release of the film in 1989, and the publishing of the book in 2001. This novel takes place in an all boys boarding school, at the beginning of the school year. The theme of this book is to “seize the day” and take advantage of all opportunities that come your way. The book matches the “dark academia” aesthetic with its slightly morbid ideas and fall setting. 

Murder on the Orient Express – Agatha Christie

The Murder on the Orient Express was originally published in 1932 and was remade into a movie in 2017. The book is crime fiction and also a murder mystery. Some scenes can be described as disturbing but it is definitely a thriller and a great book for those who love a good plot twist.

IT – Stephan King

This timeless novel is one of Stephan King’s best books because of its  spine chilling plot and terrifying monsters. This book is about a group of outcast teenagers that go on horrifying adventures while trying to piece together the disappearance of Bill’s little brother. There are three movies including the original film, a remake, and the remake’s sequel.  The book is exactly 1,184 pages long so it is lengthy, but if you’re willing to commit, you won’t be disappointed.  

Coraline – Neil Gaiman

Coraline is one of the best books to read to get in the mood for fall because of its whimsical, dark theme and interesting plot. The stop motion film is incredibly popular as well, but the novel is criminally underrated. If you like the film there’s a big chance that you’ll enjoy the book, because it follows the same plot and it’s only a little bit more disturbing than the movie. Overall, the novel is intriguing with several plot twists, an eerie setting, and unsettling characters. If traveling to parallel universes, talking to black cats, and sewing buttons in your eyes are some of your hobbies, you should definitely give this book a chance.