The Student News Site of Castaic High School

The Daily Howl

Breaking News

The Daily Howl

The Daily Howl

Polls

Do you feel that your racial/ethnic/cultural background is falsely represented on screen?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Taylor Swift’s 1989: A Timeless Album Reimagined

Taylor Swift’s album 1989 released in 2014 set the world by storm with its catchy tunes and recurring theme of love. Again in 2023, Taylor finally rereleased 1989 (Taylor’s version) on October 27th after months of teasing its arrival back in August during one of her final shows in Los Angeles. The Album is new and improved with crisper vocals and melodies containing the same songs. This album is a testament to Taylor’s growth as a musician and a reflection of her journey.  The album reflects Taylor’s emotions and reflections about her past relationships. Especially after her forced public relationship with Harry Styles, it’s no wonder why this album continues to captivate audiences around the world. Here I take a closer look at some of the standout tracks from the album, exploring their meanings and musical styles. Whether you’re a long-time fan or a newcomer to Taylor’s music, join us as we dive into the depths of 1989 Taylor’s Version.

The first song on this album “Welcome to New York” celebrates her move to New York City and her love for the place that never seems to go to sleep. The song expresses a newfound freedom in the city and a lighthearted attitude towards past heartbreaks. The lyrics highlight the excitement of exploring a new place and experiencing new things. The song is an absolute ode to the energy and vibrancy of New York City and how it inspires Taylor as an artist. The lyrics are upbeat and catchy with a pop-infused melody that achieves the spirit of the city.

The second song on the album, “Blank Space” is a sarcastic song that pokes fun at the media’s portrayal of her as a certified serial dater. In the song, Swift plays the role by singing about her “insanely long list of ex-boyfriends,” and how she’s very much insane and has “got a blank space” and she will write your name. This song is essentially a commentary on the way the media and society love to paint women as crazy and even desperate for attention.

Style being the third song on this album is about a relationship that has ended but the memories and feelings left from it still confidently linger on in her heart. The lyrics have a chilling way of describing the attraction and chemistry between the 2 parties and their shared experiences and that they had inevitably influenced each other up to their styles. The song thoroughly touches on the idea that even though what they had is done and over with the memories that refrain within them remain and the feelings they shared will truly never go away

Out of the Woods is the fourth song on the album diving deep into the tetrous relationship Taylor had included in and the ups and downs they had. The lyrics describe the harsh feeling of being lost in a forest with their significant other desperately trying to find their way out of it and eventually finding a sense of clarity and feeling relieved. This song is an overall reflection of the emotional turmoil that Taylor goes through in this relationship and how she finds a clear path out of it.

In the fifth track on this album, all you have to do is talk about a failed relationship where one party is not able to fully commit to the other half, not wanting to work on the issues their relationship has. This song indulges in the feeling of being left behind and the irritation of wanting to fix it but not being able to without the other person’s help. The song is a relatable and emotional take on the pain of unrequited love and the longing for somebody who sadly isn’t there for you as you are for them.

The sixth song Shake It Off is all about Swift ignoring all of the negative press of others and focusing on the one thing that matters to her: her happiness. The song is a catchy and upbeat melody that encourages her listeners to shake off their worries as all they do is way you down. The lyrics are empowering and she reminds us to stay true to ourselves and not let the opinions of others bring us down. Overall, Shake It Off is a feel-good song that encourages people to embrace their uniqueness and to live their lives to the fullest with no regrets.

I Wish You Would is the seventh track talks about a past relationship of Taylors’ where she wishes this ex-partner would come back to her. She reminisces about the good times they shared and how she misses how close they used to be, missing their company. Despite her heartbreak, the song remains a catchy and upbeat rhythm distracting you from its watery lyrics showing her ability to blend her deep emotions with catchy melodies. 

Bad Blood is the eighth track on the Album. This song is about her feud with another unknown artist further. She shares how she and this person once shared good memories but is now clouded with the bad moment they shared that it suddenly “so sad to think about the good times,” Despite the negative emotions displayed the song shows the empowering side of Swift as she declares that she’s become stronger after what has happened.

The ninth song on the track Wildest Dreams dives into a past relationship of Taylor’s and the desire to be remembered in a graceful memory. The song expresses Taylor’s wanting to relive those memories and experience that love they once shared, knowing that no longer is possible. Her lyrics paint a clear and vivid picture of her passionate and intense love affair, singing about how her lover made her feel at her best.

the tenth track called How You Get the Girls is a simple and fun song about advising a guy on how to woo a girl who is being hard to get. The lyrics suggest that he needs to be persistent and confident in himself and show her how he truly cares about her. The lyrics emphasize the importance of communication and being honest with one another.

This Love is the eleventh song on the album about how love is sometimes good and sometimes bad. Regardless of the constant ups and downs, it’s still love. The song explores the idea of fate and the thought of that person lingering in one’s mind even after everything is done with. Thus Swift always goes back to express that love is difficult and a dread yet we still come back for more.

I Know Places is the twelfth song on the album and is about the immense desire to form the public’s eye and to keep their relationship private. The song was written during a time in Swift’s life when she was constantly followed by paparazzi and the media. In the song, she expresses the need to find a way to keep her and her then-boyfriend’s relationship alive and under wraps at the same time. The song uses good metaphors of animals needing to hide in greenery to avoid hunters contrasting the lengths to which she and her partners are willing to go to protect their love.

The thirteenth and final song on the album is Clean, a track about moving on from a past relationship and finally feeling cleansed after it. The song’s lyrics are deeply personal and raw as Swift unravels the intense emotional rollercoaster of letting go of someone you love deeply but no longer good for you but thus finding the strength to move forward. Swift shows this through her powerful imagery and metaphors, painting a vivid picture of the pain and confusion that comes with having to end a relationship but ending with hope and the possibility of a new spark.

Overall, 1989 (Taylor’s Version) is an undeniable fan favorite after all these years since its initial release back in 2014 and again in 2023. With its pop, fresh tunes, and relatable lyrics about love and self-discovery, it’s no wonder the album got amazing reviews then and now cementing Swift’s name in pop history. It’s a timeless classic that continues to be enjoyed by fans older and new and will undoubtedly remain a staple of pop music for years to come.