The Student News Site of Castaic High School

The Daily Howl

Breaking News

The Daily Howl

The Daily Howl

Polls

Are you fully vaccinated against COVID-19?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Is the Hate that Taylor Swift Gets From NFL Fans Really Necessary?

This week’s episode of Good Morning Castaic, our school’s news broadcasting channel, had a leading question of “Who do you think will win The Super Bowl, The 49ers or Chiefs?”A lot of our very own CHS football fans made a few comments speaking negatively about the Chiefs due to Taylor Swift’s recently developed lover on the team. And if you aren’t up to date, global superstar Taylor Swift and Chiefs’ offensive player Travis Kelce have been dating since late August of 2023 and ever since then, Swift has gone to a total of 13 out of 24 Chiefs games in support of Kelce. It seems the hate that Swift is getting stems from NFL fans being annoyed about the excessive camera time she gets at games, taking the focus off of the game play and shifting it to her reactions.

Both individuals are incredibly successful, with Kelce’s net worth being over 30 million dollars, and Swift’s net worth being over 1.1 billion dollars. Taylor Swift being a household name makes it no surprise that she is the star at all the Chiefs games she attends. Swift is constantly being put on the big screens whenever something stirring happens, instead of broadcasting the in-game players. This gesture seems relatively harmless, but football fans are getting increasingly frustrated. Even a comedian at the Golden Globes, Jo Koy, made a flat joke about the situation, Saying, “The big difference between the Golden Globes and the NFL? At the Golden Globes, we have fewer camera shots of Taylor Swift…”

Swift and Kelce are beloved by fans in their respective communities, but what happens when those communities overlap?. Including the demographics making up each group, NFL fans are 70% male, while 52% of Swifties are female, this has left room for tension and animosity. Swift and Kelce are obviously from two completely different professions, and as a result of that, the fans naturally collide as well. 

Although Swift is getting an unnecessary amount of attention at the games, It can be seen as unfair that she is the person who is enduring all the hate from NFL fans. She can’t control the camera. The spotlight on the 14- time Grammy Award winner seems to be inevitable, but let’s see how our fellow coyotes feel about the situation: 

“I understand that [Swift’s] famous, but she is getting way too much attention at games. During the Super Bowl the camera was on her almost more than the players, and that just isn’t right.”

Cole Godinez, Freshman

“ I feel like [the spotlight] is unnecessary, and I’m sure that other players on the team have girlfriends too so it’s unfair.”  

Ms. Frias

“ I don’t really care about Taylor Swift, or the Chiefs to be honest.”  

Abrham Gonzalez, Freshman 

“ [The spotlight on Swift] doesn’t bother me at all. So many people are bothered by the empowerment of women but I’m not. I’m impressed by everything she’s done.” 

Mr. Olsson

“ I don’t really mind [Swift’s] presence, and it’s not her fault that the cameraman points at her so much”

Cassandra Garigan, Freshman 

No matter your stance on the topic, it is undeniable that Kelce and Swift have worked hard for the fame they possess, but fame and power comes with its faults. Criticism is inevitable when a person, especially a woman, possesses so much power.  It is incredibly easy to show hatred towards someone you don’t know, so before you do, put yourself in their shoes. Understand that the words you speak have an effect on people far and near, whether it’s positive or negative; so what effect do you want to leave on the world?