The Student News Site of Castaic High School

The Daily Howl

Breaking News

The Daily Howl

The Daily Howl

Polls

What is your favorite section?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Mean Girls Movie Review

%0AMean+Girls+Musical+Poster+
Online Source
Mean Girls Musical Poster

The premier of the new Mean Girls movie starring Angourie Rice on January 12, 2024, is causing controversy. Some people love it, and some hate it, other  Mean Girls fans had high hopes for the remake. 

Much like the original, the remake has incorporated “That’s so Fetch” from Gretchen Weiners and “We Wear Pink on Wednesdays.” However, some iconic scenes, such as the talent show dance, were changed, and many people had mixed feelings. 

The humorous musical contains recent slang that appeals to the newer generation. The movie is more comedy-based, and the characters are more playful in the newer adaptation than in the original. The movie is excellent if you are looking for a laugh with friends, even though some scenes could be more accurate. 

The antagonist, Regina George, is not only manipulative and persuasive, but she also fits into the mold of the stereotypical “Queen B” of North Shore High School. Regina has multiple songs in the musical, all contributing to her image of being powerful and untouchable. Much like the original, she also leads ridiculous fashion trends within the school and somehow manages to pull off things most people wouldn’t, such as the “wet look” where she rocks running makeup. 

The new adaptation is more intense as long as language goes. Swear words and topics intended for older audiences are more prevalent in the musical than in the original movie. 

Overall, The movie is perfect for a girls’ night and is a fun activity with a large group while also being enjoyable to watch alone.