The Student News Site of Castaic High School

The Daily Howl

Breaking News

The Daily Howl

The Daily Howl

Polls

Do you feel that your racial/ethnic/cultural background is falsely represented on screen?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Put Your Future First: Use the Tools at CHS to Build Your Adult Life

Journalism student Tyler Schoenfeld
Abbey Williams
Journalism student Tyler Schoenfeld

Focusing on schoolwork is a critical part of building your future. Taking advantage of the resources available here at Castaic High School can help guarantee the future you are working hard for. 

College is not for everyone, but if it’s for you, Castaic High offers an amazing program called iCan. Through iCan, students can take college classes taught by COC teachers here on campus. These classes are specifically made for high school students and are catered to specific grade levels.

There are many different learning paths that students can take through iCAN depending on the career they want to pursue. These classes are offered as an elective during the school day and can be used to fulfill graduation credits. The traditional path is the path most students take because it does not focus on one specific subject and changes every semester. Another path is the medical field, where students can learn to become nurses or dentists. However, if students want to go with the more creative route, they can take the welding pathway where they learn about metalwork. To see all pathways, click here.

These classes take up one class period during the school day, and if done every year, can generate enough college credit to graduate high school with two years’ worth of college credit. Talk about a way to jumpstart your future and get ahead! 

Another great way to get a head start is to take advantage of test retakes and use the resources that teachers provide in Canvas. Teachers also provide WIN time before and after school for additional help or questions. Just an extra step could help change your grades completely. 

Many people struggle with finding the right place to study and do work without distractions. In that case, the school library is open for one hour before and after school, and it’s the perfect place to catch up on any schoolwork. The library even has small cubicles in the back that are made to help block out and limit distractions.

Putting thought into time management is just as important as finding a good space to work. Balancing school work, home life, and extracurriculars can be challenging, but Castaic offers plenty of resources to help you succeed.