The Student News Site of Castaic High School

The Daily Howl

Breaking News

The Daily Howl

The Daily Howl

Polls

What is your favorite section?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Rising Artist from SoCal: Gentle Nature

“My music is more of a vibe than it is a specific sound or genre,” said musician Nick Gendian-Feig when I sat down to speak with him about his music, of which he goes by the artist name Gentle Nature. 

Gentian-Feig is a local to Southern California, growing up in the San Fernando Valley. He graduated from Taft High School, where he was a standout baseball player. He continued to pursue baseball in college, playing at Pierce College and Colorado State. But, in 2018, the at-the-time 24 year-old decided to close that chapter and start a new one with music.

“I wasn’t musically trained. I played baseball most of my life and once that dream was coming to an end, I felt I needed something else to fill that void,” said Gendian-Feig. “And one day around that time, I was in a thrift shop and I came across a bass guitar. I thought I might as well buy it and see if I could pick it up and play. After I bought it, I just sat there and learned until I understood how to play.”

After learning to play the bass guitar, Gendian-Feig has since then learned to play other instruments like the drums, guitar and keyboard.

“I wanted to learn how to record drums after I started playing bass,” Gendian-Feig added. “So I bought some drums and taught myself how to mic them up and play them. Then I got curious about how to play the guitar and keyboard. So I bought each of them and just sat there and fiddled with both until I figured out how to play them.”

When asked about what sound he wants for Gentle Nature, the self-taught musician says he uses the artists and bands he listened to growing up, such as Curtis Mayfield, Pink Floyd, and The Doors, as influences to form his own distinct and perceptible sound. 

“For my music, I try to pick things that I liked listening to when I was growing up and then mold it into one cohesive sound,” Gendian-Feig continued. “But, I don’t want my music to be one specific sound. Not rock, not soul, and not R&B. I want it to have an all-encompassing vibe of some-sort.”

Although Gentle Nature has no singing in his music, he collaborates with musicians who do sing. In fact, his current projects have been writing songs for several other musicians.

“Right now, I’ve been working with more artists on collaborations, working on their songs and not specifically my own. I’ve been wanting to branch out and get my hands in some different pots. I actually just worked on two songs that were released by an artist named Matt Moody. My buddy Raul and I worked on them. They’re called Awaiting and The Passerby. There should also be a few songs released by an artist named Boulevards on his new album sometime next year that I helped write.”

At the moment, Gentle Nature has released three EPs and three singles, the most-recent being Auras, which was released on August 18 of this year. His favorite song he’s made, In Good Company, is on his self-titled EP, which was released earlier this year.

“All of my music can be found on streaming platforms like Apple Music and Spotify. I have three EPs and three singles on there, and hopefully a fourth sometime soon.” said Gendian-Feig.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Daily Howl
$590
$2000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will go directly to support the student journalists of Castaic High School. Your contribution will allow us to participate in trainings, attend workshops, purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs. Our campaign covers our costs to produce The Daily Howl for an entire year!