Castaic High School’s Golf Team Swinging Their way to Victory

Varsity+boys+team+player+swinging+his+way+to+success.+

Lindell

Varsity boy’s team player swinging his way to success.

Jules Perez, Staff Writer

Golf is a game of strategy. You must hit a delicate ball into a tiny hole amidst external pressures. When you join a sport, your team becomes your second family. For every accomplishment and every failure, your team is right beside you. Being a part of a team provides a sense of community and loyalty. Castaic’s golf team is the same. Amidst the challenge of the sport, the team has come together like never before. At Castaic High School, sports are a big deal; every game is prominent. Coach Turski is a passionate golfer who teaches advanced at Castaic—he provided insight into his experience with golf. 

“I’m addicted to the game,” Turski said. He is the head coach of our girls’ and boys’ varsity golf team, with 22 years of experience. At six, Turski began golfing and played for West Ranch in high school all four years. Now, he enjoys the game in his free time. Regarding the sport’s appeal, Turski explained that he loves the mindset he developed when playing golf. 

“I love the perpetual challenge, the quest for perfection that never comes, and how every round is different,” Turski said. His determination and love for the team are inspiring, and he wishes the best for all his players.

Charles Bailey, the boy’s varsity golf team captain, is a founding player for our golf team here at Castaic. Bailey is a senior who plans to play golf at Albright College in Reading, Pennsylvania. During practice, he enjoys helping his teammates perfect their golf skills.

“When practicing, we both help the other players to fix things on their swing and help them hit the ball better and score better,” Bailey added. He plans to put his talent to the test and hopes to compete competitively. 

Bailey plays for the Hart district as well as outside of school. Bailey is trying to qualify for the “chance to compete for an individual score and represent Castaic high school at CIF this year.” CIF would be a huge accomplishment and an excellent opportunity for our school’s name to be on the map. In addition, Charles strives to compete in the “Toyota Tour Cup (Section of the Southern California Professional Golf Association Junior Tour).” 

The golf team keeps breaking records as the season continues. They scored the lowest team score in school history a few games ago against the whole district. The varsity boys team broke their record by 31 strokes and earned a new team best of 459 against Sand Canyon. Bailey scored the lowest in the Foothill League, putting him first in the individual player race for Foothills MVP.  There are a few more months until the end of the season, but plenty more to expect from Castaic’s boys’ varsity golf team. With all of the goals they have accomplished, we are very proud of them.