Categories:

Meet This Year’s Varsity Football Captains!

(From Left to Right) Cherry, Villalpando, Gonzalez, and Brodrick

Football season has just begun and after weeks of prepping over the summer, Castaic’s varsity football team has selected four players who, along with the team’s coaches, will help lead their teammates during practices and games. Meet this season’s varsity football team captains: Castaic’s Rosie Cherry, Andrew Villalpando, Noah Gonzalez, and Jayden Brodrick. 

Here’s how they got started and where they are now: 

Rosie Cherry 

Rosie Cherry is the youngest of the four, being a junior. He started playing football at five years old and joined the high school team his freshman year. Cherry also just transferred to CHS this past summer, earning his place on the team during Castaic football’s summer camp. He described how the transfer process wasn’t easy, yet he is grateful that he got cleared to play. 

Cherry believes the role of varsity captain was given to him for his commitment to the team and ability to lead his new teammates. He hopes to play college football after high school: “I also hope to continue football at the college level no matter the place, so long as I have an opportunity to play.” 

Andrew Villalpando

Just before freshman year, senior Andrew Villalpando found his passion for football and joined Castaic’s team during his first year of high school after his dad encouraged him to play. By sophomore year, he was on the varsity team and showed natural talent despite his previous years spent playing soccer. Villalpando described himself as very “coachable” and “adaptable”– both essential qualities of a captain. 

“We’re able to put our best foot forward and make sure the team is off on the right foot,” he explained, referring to him and his fellow varsity captains. 

Noah Gonzalez

Senior Noah Gonzalez discovered and started playing football when he was seven years old and has continued ever since, playing for our school’s varsity team. He’s inspired and driven by his dad, football being an important part of both of their lives. 

“I think my fellow leaders were chosen because they’re great football players, but they’re also great people off the field,” explained Gonzalez. “They exemplify what it means to be a student-athlete. I feel like you could go around campus and ask anyone about any of these guys, and they’d have nothing but kind words to say about them” said Gonzalez.

Jayden Brodrick 

Jayden Brodrick, a senior at Castaic, began his football journey freshman year, like Villapando, joining the team in year one. He decided to try a new sport the summer before school started. Brodrick hopes to get some sort of offer or scholarship to be able to play football in college, no matter the division. 

“I kind of got started on it late, so I still have that drive and that love for the sport,” he explained. 

He was selected as a varsity captain for his poised leadership.

“I’m able to tell people what to do and set them straight if they’re goofing off and stuff like that,” said Brodrick. 

I interviewed our captains regarding their team and football as a whole. Below are their responses!

What makes a good football player and teammate?: 

Cherry: “The discipline and effort, showing commitment to the team, and just holding each other accountable.”

Gonzalez: “A good teammate is holding your teammates up when things aren’t going well, like the person who stands up when things aren’t going your way.”

Brodrick: “You got to be a leader, both on and off the field. You have to be able to have difficult conversations with your teammates or your friends and set them straight.”

Villalpando: “Effort. It takes a lot of time and commitment, and not everyone’s willing to do that.”

What are you looking forward to this season?:

Brodrick: “I’m looking forward to spending time with my brothers now, because they’re basically family, just spending the wins and the losses with them.”

Villalpando: “This season, I’m looking forward to all the hard work we put in over the off-season and all the countless hours that we spent. I hope that it turns out to be something meaningful.”

Why is football so important to you and what has it taught you?:

Gonzalez: “[Football] just made me like the man who I am today. It taught me a lot of qualities about being a teammate, about being available for people, how to listen, and a lot of things.”

Cherry: “This sport has always been a part of me. I first started playing with my dad, and then from there, I fell in love with the sport, and plan to make it a career.”

Villalpando: “Football is meaningful to me as it teaches you a lot of life qualities. You gotta be relentless and adaptable.”

Why is leadership so important in football?:

Gonzalez: “You could have a bunch of Division One, five-star athletes, but if you don’t have someone responsible, mature, has clarity, and is willing to lead the people around them and show them the right way to do things, then it’s pointless. I think having a leader and having someone to look up to is one of the most important parts of any team sport.”

What have been some recent struggles regarding the team?:

Villalpando: “There were a lot of days where we couldn’t practice football and we got canceled because of the weather, so we get to adapt and find new ways to get our practice in.”

Gonzalez: “The switch in coaches, switching principals; a lot of this school around us has changed, and we’ve been trying to adapt with it and go with it. But I feel like we’ve overcome it, and we’ve used it to our advantage and use all the new support from all these people and new staff that we have.”

This season looks bright with our new varsity captains, each having their own unique assets while all sharing their love for the sport and excellent leadership. They even secured a win during Castaic’s first home game on Aug 22nd, scoring 45 to 7 against Adelanto. 

Come and show support by attending this year’s home games, hosted by either College of the Canyons or Valencia’s field. 

“Pop out to some games, regardless of what you think the score is going to be. We’ll give you a good show,” added Gonzalez. 

So, let’s fill this season’s stadiums with our support to motivate our hardworking and determined players, where we’ll see our varsity captains Cherry, Villalpando, Gonzalez, and Brodrick lead our team through the thick and thin of the 2024 season.

Donate to The Daily Howl
$100
$2000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will go directly to support the student journalists of Castaic High School. Your contribution will allow us to participate in trainings, attend workshops, purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs. Our campaign covers our costs to produce The Daily Howl for an entire year!