Categories:

Student Spotlight: Jack Barquero

Getting Ready for the Air Force
Jack Barquero(right) and fellow cadet, Cody Min(left), at the Academy

Castaic senior, Jack Barquero, interested in joining the Air Force, took the step of applying to and attending the Air Force’s Summer Camp Seminar. During this four-day camp, Barquero gathered “good insight and a cool experience”  to prepare himself for his application to the Air Force’s Academy College, which he hopes to join after graduation. 

As the Air Force is looking for candidates with impressive scientific and mathematical abilities, Barquaro had to list all of his grades when first applying to the camp. He also had to write two essays along with his GPA submission. According to the historical average, only about 20% of the students who apply for the camp are accepted. 

“Students are selected to participate in the Summer Seminar based on a ‘whole-person concept’ that includes demonstrated leadership experience or potential in extracurricular and community activities, athletics, and academics,” as stated by the Air Force’s website on their Summer Seminar. Being accepted is an honor and scholarly achievement. 

Out of every career path, Barquero chose the Air Force because it fit his interests in aerospace and navigation as well as his desire to serve his country. The Air Force also creates a more straightforward path for an aerial career. 

“All cadets there are super motivated and genuinely wanted to be there and serve their country. So I think that’s super cool and I want to be a part of it,” said Barquero. He reflected on how in the short amount he was there, the camp offered him an idea of what it would be like to go through the Air Force’s training program. 

By doing this camp, Barquero’s interest in the Air Force program was strengthened as he got a real sense of what it could entail. 

“I think just being there and being in that environment answered a lot of questions I had, ’cause before the camp, I had never seen it in person.”

During students’ time at the camp, they slept in cadet dormitories, ate from the cadet cafeteria, and toured academic facilities and research labs. The camp also offers workshops that will give future cadets experience on what it would be like to join the academy and help them with the application process. 

“[Barquero] was always engaged and often took the opportunity to include and encourage those around him,” commented Carlie Walters,  a Flight Leader for the U.S Air Force Academy’s summer camp seminar. 

After graduation, Barquero plans on attending the U.S Air Force Academy, which serves as a college and training program for future Air Force military personnel. They offer 27 majors and 4 minors, in addition to athletic and military training, an on-base flight program, and intramural sports. This will prepare Barquero and other cadets to be officers in the Air Force, where they are required to serve in the force for 5-10 years, depending on the training and position received.

Barquero recommends a summer seminar camp to anyone who is thinking about joining the armed forces. All branches of the Armed Forces host local camps (except the Marines) that any qualified student can attend, with the recommended time being the summer between junior and senior year of high school. Castaic High School also has opportunities to speak to Armed Forces recruiters, who can be found during lunch and brunch a few times a week. 

“Definitely apply…It was a really cool experience. And if you get in, you should go.” 

Walters ends her comment in praise of Barquero: “The Academy would be lucky to have someone like him as a cadet and future military officer.” She also wished him luck in making it into the Academy, which is likely with his excellent grades and his commitment to Castaic’s lacrosse team and other physical training. 

“Right now, I’m preparing physically and just finishing my application and writing my essays, and I gotta keep my grades up,” explained Barquero. 

It’s amazing that many of Castaic’s students are taking advantage of learning and career-related opportunities. Opportunities such as the Air Force Seminar summer camp, help students prepare and ensure a successful future. Jack Barquero has done just that, and it’s always an honor to spotlight these students and see them thrive.

Donate to The Daily Howl
$100
$2000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will go directly to support the student journalists of Castaic High School. Your contribution will allow us to participate in trainings, attend workshops, purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs. Our campaign covers our costs to produce The Daily Howl for an entire year!