COVID-19’s Effect on Mental Health

Lindsey Coralie Nguegang, Staff Writer

Students were jumping up out of their seats as teachers announced we would have a 2-week break from school. But the school return date kept getting pushed further and further. Soon we realized that COVID-19 was much more serious than we had previously thought. The country began taking precautions to protect people from this monstrous virus. “Keep your masks on”, healthcare professionals recommended.  “Stay 6 feet away”, they exclaimed! Everyone began taking precautions to protect people and their loved ones. But was it possible all of this could be hurting their loved ones on the inside even more? Getting used to social isolation and distance learning can be tough and overwhelming to many. Several new challenges have presented themselves during this time of social isolation. Every day more school work is being piled on, some find that adults don’t understand, and for many, there is no one to talk to. 

Social Isolation 

Social isolation has been enforced by health professionals to make sure people avoid becoming infected with  COVID-19. At first, many believed that this would be easy, considering technology has introduced virtual connection so the need to communicate in person is nonexistent. However, an abundant amount of people now understand that social isolation is much harder than it looks. Humans weren’t meant to go extended periods of time without social interaction. Isolation has increased the risks of mental health issues like depression, anxiety, and substance abuse. People are choosing to ignore the precautions and instead are choosing to spend time in-person with their friends. Not because they don’t care, but because the toll on their mental health is too great. Quarantine has also caused many friendships to be broken due to a lack of interaction. Though, some may claim that people are weak or that they have the technology they could use rather than choosing to not social distance many find that it is much tougher than what it seems. It could be very hard on people for many different reasons. There are a vast amount of people who can’t afford the technology to keep in touch with family and friends, especially with the loss of jobs that has taken place during COVID-19. This causes people who happen to be in similar situations, immense stress. Thus, social isolation has negatively affected and taken its toll on everyone’s mental health.

Online Schooling

Online schooling has eradicated the need for in-person schooling which reduces the risk of students catching COVID-19 however, it has created a few problems. Online classes are a new thing for many and at times can be confusing. Distance learning has made it challenging to absorb the curriculum and ask for help on assignments. It requires a large amount of self-motivation and time management skills, which many students lack. At times it’s hard to even simply get out of bed but now with a massive workload, simple tasks are becoming increasingly harder.  Resulting in added stress and anxiety for students. A multitude of students has now started putting their focus on passing instead of learning because of this.

Mental Health 

Mental Health is very important especially during adolescence. It can affect you in a variety of ways. Mental health should be a priority in everyone’s life. Stress can not only lead to many mental health issues but can also lead to physical health problems. Feeling overwhelmed? Consider taking a mental health day, this may help reduce stress and help you lighten up. Mental health days should be spent doing things that aid you in destressing, getting a handle back on your emotions, and overall relaxing. The most important thing to do while taking a mental health day in my opinion is to make sure you’re doing something that YOU want to do.