Mandated COVID Vaccines for LAUSD

Lisa Ferdinando

Army Spc. Angel Laureano holds a vial of the COVID-19 vaccine, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, Md., Dec. 14, 2020. (DoD photo by Lisa Ferdinando)

Rocio Negrete, Staff Writer

With LAUSD being one of the largest public school districts in California; there was a board meeting on September 9th to have all students vaccinated for the safety of themselves and their peers. The official date for students to be fully vaccinated is January 10th, 2022. The reason for this movement is to provide a safer learning environment. 

Students at ages 12 and older are required to get vaccinated. Those who are in extracurricular activities must receive a first vaccine dose no later than October 3rd and a second dose no later than October 31st. Due to them being around more kids from different schools. As for the others, they must receive the first dose by November 21st and the second dose by December 19th. When students return from winter break on January 11th, they must have proof of vaccination. Except if they have approved exemptions. Megan K. Reilly, L.A. schools Interim Supt. says that, “Students who are not vaccinated by the deadline will not be allowed on campus.” If parents do not allow them to get vaccinated they will have the choice to do remote learning. 

Jackie Goldberg, a board member, is concerned for the safety of younger children that are not eligible to participate in getting vaccinated. She believes that it is a strong reason for older students to get vaccinated. 

During the meeting, which was live-streamed, parents were agreeing but others were against it. Diana Guillen, a leader with a district parent advisory committee, points out that parents are concerned about their children’s safety. The parents claim that “This vaccine is experimental… This decision should be made by parents, not by you.” 

Richard Pan, a state senator, made a statement reassuring parents that they will not put their son or daughter in any danger, “the vaccines are safe and effective.” According to the FDA, the Pfizer vaccine has helped people from age 12 and up from getting a severe illness. L. A Unified is not waiting for a full vaccination approval for those students at the ages of 12 to 15 years old. They are working on having approvals for children under 12 by the end of September. 

Image from: commons.wikimedia.org